The next version of WriteType (1.0.98) is now available for download! WriteType is a word processor designed to make typing easier and more efficient for young students and students with disabilities.
What’s new in this release?
- Grammar checking: WriteType now has an enhanced grammar checking system. It will check for common grammatical mistakes, and offer to correct them.
- Translation support: WriteType is now multi-lingual! A special thanks to Emilio Lopez and Harm Bathoorn for providing Spanish and Dutch translations.
- Word list sorted by use: The words you use most frequently within your document will float to the top of the list of word completions.
- Tab word completion: Now it is possible to select words from the list of suggested completions by tabbing and back-tabbing through the list. For convenience, the arrow keys may also be used.
- Auto-save support: WriteType autosaves your document frequently so that you never have to worry about losing any work.
- Changed file extension: Files created with WriteType are .wtd files instead of .html files. There is no difference in formatting; the new format simply allows WriteType to be selected as the default file handler.
- Diction checking: Advanced writers can use the diction check feature (courtesy of GNU Diction) to improve their writing style.
- Readability and statistics: It is now possible to figure out at what level you write.
- Fresh new look: WriteType has a new, more refreshing icon set.
- Lots of bugs: If you were experiencing a problem with the last version of WriteType, chances are this version fixes it.
- Some stuff I’m probably forgetting: Hey, I’m human!
How can you help?
If you would like to help out, there are all kinds of ways for you to do so. Translators, packagers, testers, and programmers would be very much appreciated. If you are a Debian developer and are interested in sponsoring WriteType, please let me know as well. As always, however, the best way you can help WriteType is by getting it into the hands of students who could use it! I didn’t create WriteType for my own benefit, and letting it sit abandoned on a server isn’t helping anybody.
Download Python package (install using “python setup.py install”)